Re: [Monotone-devel] straw poll: do you ever turn persist_passphrase_ok

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] straw poll: do you ever turn persist_passphrase_ok off?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:36:46 +1100

On 02/02/2008, at 6:42 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Has anyone ever turned persist_passphrase_ok off, and if so, when and why?

Considering that turning it off means 'mtn commit' will prompt for
your passphrase five times (assuming you type it correctly each time),
which is *terrible* UI, and also that the auto-ssh-agent code ignores
the hook AFAICT, so your decrypted key may still wind up cached in
some process's memory even if you disabled the internal-to-monotone
persistence - I'm seriously considering junking it altogether (on
.experiment.encapsulation, but I hope to be done with that and merge
it Real Soon).

(Also, I'm at a loss to see what threat disabling it defends against.
Note that the passphrase itself is not cached; only the decrypted key,
and that in botan's SecureVectors (which are not actually secure
against drive-process-to-swap attacks as presently configured, but
meh).)

Yeah - sounds like it should be junked. I'm guessing that the memory the key was in is never zero'd after use anyway. So no keeping track of that
key doesn't mean someone couldn't find it in your core anyway.

Cheers,

Will       :-}