Re: [Monotone-devel] straw poll: do you ever turn persist_passphrase_ok

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] straw poll: do you ever turn persist_passphrase_ok off?
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:45:10 +0100

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
Has anyone ever turned persist_passphrase_ok off, and if so, when and why?

Nope.

Considering that turning it off means 'mtn commit' will prompt for
your passphrase five times (assuming you type it correctly each time),
which is *terrible* UI, and also that the auto-ssh-agent code ignores
the hook AFAICT, so your decrypted key may still wind up cached in
some process's memory even if you disabled the internal-to-monotone
persistence - I'm seriously considering junking it altogether

+1 from here.

(on
.experiment.encapsulation, but I hope to be done with that and merge
it Real Soon).

What are your plans there? I'm still seeing app_state.hh referenced from lots of files, even in places, where we could remove it, for example:

*** database.cc 40c9ed9bdbf10b11ed05b19b41e26b198f6c7099
--- database.cc 0797db2c719528424be8c3ddfccc52fe256d28ce
***************
*** 24,30 ****

  #include "sqlite/sqlite3.h"

- #include "app_state.hh"
  #include "cert.hh"
  #include "cleanup.hh"
  #include "constants.hh"
--- 24,29 ----
***************
*** 48,53 ****
--- 47,54 ----
  #include "rev_height.hh"
  #include "vocab_hash.hh"
  #include "globish.hh"
+ #include "work.hh"
+ #include "lua_hooks.hh"
  #include "outdated_indicator.hh"
  #include "lru_writeback_cache.hh"

Part of the motivation for removing the app_state was reducing the amount of .hh files to include - and thus reduce the total lines of code to compile per .cc file. Have you ever checked what effect that had?

How can I help you, to make that branch land on mainline?

Regards

Markus