Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 17:20:47 +0100

On Feb 2, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

Daniel Carosone spake unto us the following wisdom:
[slowly working through a big mail backlog]

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:17:54PM -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
5) Workspace merge.  This was started, but never finished.
workspace merge simply gives the developer more context for the
[...]
changes, and the freedom to merge files and hunks in any order that
seems pleasing at the time.  The current status gives very little
context without (multiple, sometimes complicated) external workspace
manipulations, and enforces an artificial and arbitrary ordering on
conflict resolution.  While human brains may alos by arbitrary,
sometimes tackling in a less arbitrary order makes the process
cognitively simpler.  ;-)

Plus workspace merge gives the developer a chance to test the merge! It is not the first time I resolve a merge conflict and latter realize that I broke something along the way because I could not test the resulting code.