Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:19:26 -0500

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:01:59AM -0500, Peter Todd wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 03:45:14PM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> > ODF is an XML format, right? So a special XML merger would be great to
> > have. However, I fear simply using a finer grained, probably even
> > character based merger could even cripple your XML file - or C source
> > code. So what's right is very dependent on the content, IMO. The line
> > based approach simply fits source code quite well, I think.
>
> FWIW I'm working on a new schematic capture/pcb layout program. I know I\m
> going to run into that problem and have decided to use XML fileformats and
> plan
> to extend existing XML merge programs to make one dedicated to the task.
>
> In short, write you're own merger. :)

What XML mergers exist?  Ive heard of two:
  -- one that's too slow to use for anything practically-sized, but does
     a robust job.
  -- one that relies on tree structure being largely unchanged.  IIRC,
It treates everything as a sequence of seqhences of sequences of ...,
and assumes that nothing ever gets inserted or deleted except at the
end of one of the (nested) sequences.  Oh -- and nothing ever gets
raised or lowered in the tree.

-- hendrik