[Monotone-devel] Re: character set.

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: character set.
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:57:53 +0200

Zack Weinberg wrote:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:04 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
In the manual, it says,  Monotone's transmission and storage forms are
otherwise unchanged. Packets and database contents are 7-bit clean
ASCII.

Now does this apply to file contents?  On my system everything is
Unicode by default.  Does it get converted to 7-bit ASCII for storage?

The manual is out of date.  Database storage is binary, 8-bit clean,

Wow, how old is that?
I began using mtn a good couple of years ago, and all I remember about storage (I don't remember where I read it) is that I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that content was *always* using binary diffs and only using text for merging or annotating or so…

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“UNIX is user-friendly, it just chooses its friends.” (Andreas Bogk)