Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: character set.

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: character set.
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 02:23:58 +0200

Hello monotone,

as I read through this thread, I thought it was time to speek up
again and say THANKs A WHOLE LOT for monotone.

I'm using mtn since two years now and it never messed up anything!
As for my workflow, there is no alternative to this easy to use, well
documented, clearly structured and rock solid system!

I love it! :)

Graydon Hoare schrieb:
Lapo Luchini wrote:
Bruce Stephens wrote:
It used to store the binary deltas in base64, IIRC.  (Just an
implementation detail, in other words.)

OK, but that's only because SQLite2 had problems with \0 most probably, and has nothing to do with the actual content of committed files; on the content being binary-safe, I guess we would have discovered any bug by now for sure, we even committed gigs of binary content (photos) at the summit ;-)

(de lurking temporarily)

It's actually because monotone was initially -- perhaps as many as 5 or 6 years ago -- built to communicate by blindly flooding changes over unauthenticated transports, including junky 7-bit ASCII channels like SMTP and NNTP, and just filtering out the stuff it received but didn't trust. For a time it even had a micro-NNTP client.

The packet system is there for that reason. SQLite2 just compounded the reasoning. But it's all completely obsolete.

-Graydon