Re: [Monotone-devel] Why are untouched files listed on branch merges/pro

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Why are untouched files listed on branch merges/propagates?
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:39:46 +0200

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008, Stephen Leake wrote:

> [...]
> I guess since 'mtn propagate' is defined as an 'asymmetric merge', it
> might make sense to define the revision with the same branch tag as
> the result to be the "real parent", and only show the changes from that
> parent to the merge result.

Yes, indeed! That's what my intuitive expection was:

If I have two branches "branch1" and "branch2" and I propagate from
"branch1" _TO_ "branch2" and then look at the changes on "branch2" I
would expect to get told those files only which had to be touched (=
added/modified/deleted) on "branch2" to lead from the previous revision
on "branch2" to the new merged revision on "branch2".

I even perhaps would like to see this the default as it perhaps less
confusing to the user.

Nevertheless, you are fully right: Monotone outputs the full async merge
information from the database and one definitely also wants an option
to still get this full information. To get just the "conflicting" files
could be also a nice filter for "mtn log", although in practice I think
the standalone "mtn show_conflicts" is more worth than a filtered "mtn
log" for the conflict cases.

> So it might be reasonable to add an option
> '--propagate-real-parent-changes-only', or something shorter with that
> meaning.

I personally would like to see something like:

$ mtn log        # output filtered information WRT the target branch only
$ mtn log --full # output full async merge information

But independent what the default is and what the option is named,
does anybody already know how to actually implement this "filtered
information WRT the target branch only"?

> I prefer to use the automate interface and customize the display in
> Emacs :).

<grin>
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden