Re: [Monotone-devel] library build

From: Zbigniew Zagórski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] library build
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:45:17 +0200

2008/10/2 Jack Lloyd <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 07:34:20PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
>
>> After just having upgraded (and now landed) monotone's included botan to
>> 1.7.12. Jack is already approaching 1.7.15 with yet another set of
>> renaming. I'm rather going to use the nvm.stripped branch than continue
>> to manually upgrade again.
>
> So if Botan 1.7.x is going to distros (AFAIK the only distro
> it is currently in is Debian) I would just as soon it be the future
> 1.7.15 rather than .14 since there are another slew of changes (in...

BTW, 1.7.15 has minor change of API that makes some things ugly in
monotone if we want to use system provided libraries.

In lookup.h there are few get_cipher functions than in 1.7.14 and
earlier versions where independent of Library_State and in 1.7.15 they
require LibraryState& as first parameter. ***

It's not big deal for monotone to change to this new interface but
_if_ we want use bundled system libraries that for some reason may be
older than 1.7.15 we would need some #ifdefs and wrappers in monotone
code.

I don't question your design decisions but LibraryState& is currently
a singleton obtained via (AFAIR) Botan::get_default() so i don't see
any reason for removing Botan::get_cipher overloads without
LibraryState& (correct me if I'm wrong).

Old overloads can be marked as deprecated but it is wise to leave them
for a while because current code base uses them.

If it's part of bigger design, ,than we'll just write some wrapper
functions with #ifdefs.

***

New get_cipher:

BOTAN_DLL Keyed_Filter* get_cipher(Library_State&, const std::string&, ...);

Old get_cipher:

BOTAN_DLL Keyed_Filter* get_cipher(const std::string&, ...);

Best regards,
--
Zbigniew Zagórski
/ software developer / geek / happy daddy /