Re: [Botan-devel] [Monotone-devel] library build

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Botan-devel] [Monotone-devel] library build
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:13:28 -0400

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:45:17PM +0200, Zbigniew Zag??rski wrote:

> BTW, 1.7.15 has minor change of API that makes some things ugly in
> monotone if we want to use system provided libraries.
>
> In lookup.h there are few get_cipher functions than in 1.7.14 and
> earlier versions where independent of Library_State and in 1.7.15 they
> require LibraryState& as first parameter. ***

That was an initial commit cleaning up something I thought I was going
to be pursuing immediately, but am probably not. That interface as it
is (taking a Library_State&) was purely provisional for me while I was
working on other things.

Eventually the entire get_cipher/lookup.h stuff is going to change I
think dramatically (hopefully for the better!), but it looks like now
is not the time.

> It's not big deal for monotone to change to this new interface but
> _if_ we want use bundled system libraries that for some reason may be
> older than 1.7.15 we would need some #ifdefs and wrappers in monotone
> code.

This seems worthwhile. In partiuclar Debian is already shipping Botan
1.7.8 with testing (and something later, I think 1.7.12, with
unstable), and Markus indicated that Monotone was compiling with 1.7.8
onwards.

As I mentioned, I did not expect get_cipher taking a Library_State& to
be a final or stable API (in fact explicitly I plan to replace much of
that code - someday), and it doesn't make sense to force Monotone to
deal with it. I will revert this change for 1.7.15. This will allow
Monotone to work across 1.7.8 - 1.7.15. And hopefully later on I can
revisit the whole issue more in depth, probably along a branch at
first.

-Jack