Re: [Monotone-devel] advice, please, on organising branches

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] advice, please, on organising branches
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 05:08:17 -0400

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 06:58:52PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:04 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm working on in a compiler that will at some time have multiple code
> > generators.  These will target different so-called machine-independent
> > intermediate codes, and will be appropriate in different execution
> > environments.
> >
> > The obvious way to organise this is as a tree of branches
>
> Why are you trying to isolate each code generator in its own branch?
> Wouldn't it make more sense to isolate each one in its own *files*,
> and have them all present in the checkout at the same time?

Yeah ... good question.  The different code generators share a lot of
code, and to a large extend the same structure.  It would be convenient
to make changes to the common code once and propagate changes into
the different code generators.  The common code is closely
interleaved with the generator-specific code, so isolating more of the
common code in separate files is infeasible, especially because the
language in which it's all written is a relic from the 60's and is
actively hostile to breaking programs into separate files.

Still, I'll have to look at this carefully.  It's still possible that
separate files is the best solution.

-- hendrik