[Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:48:20 -0700

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Markus Wanner <address@hidden> wrote:

> While that's find and dandy, I'm still wondering why we (uhm.. Zack)
> have implemented gmtime() from scratch. The comments tell something
> about systems not using the Unix epoch. But which system? Are the
> mktime() and gmtime() system functions really that unusable for portable
> software?

Yes.  Some (not all) Windows C runtime libraries (or possibly
operating system major releases, I didn't investigate this in detail)
use a different epoch and/or don't implement the distinction between
UTC and local time correctly.   It would also be a problem if we
wanted to port to various other systems not in wide use anymore; VMS
and classic MacOS come to mind.

zw