[Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:56:45 +0200

Markus Wanner wrote:
> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> I will not have time to look at the code until later today or perhaps
>> even tomorrow.  In the meantime: are you storing Unix-epoch second
>> counts in the database?  If so, then yes, I object, for the reasons in
>> my second message.
>
> No, I've only changed the internal representation of date_t to use
> (comparable) u64 seconds since Unix epoch, instead of storing strings.

BTW: when using 64 bits isn't it usual to store signed milliseconds as
opposed to unsigned seconds?

Or maybe I'm a bit influenced by Java, but being able to represent any
time in the long past or long future to millisecond accuracy seems a
nice bonus to me (and costs pretty much nothing), whereas an unsigned
second value starts unnecessarily in 1970 and goes on in the future way
too much.

I don't remember what does 64bit-milliseconds reach, but it was in the
many-thousands-years, having many-millions-years using 64bit-seconds
seems a bit far too stretched ;-)

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“Few false ideas have more firmly gripped the minds of so many
intelligent men than the one that, if they just tried, they could invent
a cipher that no one could break.” (David Kahn)