Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: date certs on net.venge.monotone

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: date certs on net.venge.monotone
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:32:05 +0200

Hi,

Lapo Luchini wrote:
> I think Nathaniel's point of "you can't fix" is important… let's
> exemplify it:

One can always distrusting invalid information. Currently this involves
distrusting the whole revision, but that doesn't necessarily have to be
bound together. mtn could easily provide a command to re-certify a
revision with a sane date, for example.

> day 1. user NTP commits with correct date 2008-10-24
> day 2. user MadTime commits with incorrect date 2009-10-25
>    (and you can do nothing about it, as it's incorrect in the future,
>    so the check you propose would happily pass)
> day 3. user NTP tries to commit with correct date 2008-10-26
>    gets a warning he can do nothing about as it wasn't his fault really

# mtn pull madtime.badhost.com
WARNING: rev XY is certified to be from the future (or your system's
clock is out of sync).

# date    -- checking against wrist-watch

# mtn cert XY date `date -u +%Y-%M-%dT%H:%M:%S`

Of course, that gets pretty tedious when multiple revisions are
involved. But that's a question of good or bad UI, not one of internal
workings and checking. And it would require policy branches to be
anywhere close to usable.

So, yes, at the moment it would involve unwanted UI uglification. So I'm
postponing this proposal until we have policy branches  :-)

Regards

Markus Wanner