Re: [Monotone-devel] building monotone on Red Hat Enterprise 4

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] building monotone on Red Hat Enterprise 4
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:59:17 -0400

Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Reminds me more of problems with the order of libraries in the final
>>> link step
>>
>> That makes sense. I added -ldl and the dlclose etc references got
>> resolved. Any hint which library has the pthread symbols?
>
> You need -pthread, in the compile as well as in the link step(s) - note
> that it is not -lpthread, but simply -pthread, no typo.

Ok, I'll give that a try.

>> It would be good to describe the library dependencies of the
>> distributions.
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean here.

Since I know that monotone no longer bundles its own copies of
external libraries, I thought the Linux executable relied on system
shared libraries.

Other casual users would not make that assumption.

But it would be good to state something like

    These are either staticly linked, or include all external
    libraries.

on the website.

>> It would also be good to include the specific build instructions in
>> some file in monotone, so others can reproduce it.
>
> Build instructions for what? The static binary?

Yes.

> That is currently built by hand, as I wasn't in the mood working
> through our auto*tools stuff yet to implement that.

Right.

So whoever does the next release will need to repeat that "by hand"
process. It would be helpful if it was written down somewhere.

--
-- Stephe