Re: [Monotone-devel] Bumping required library versions

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bumping required library versions
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:56:43 -0400

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

> If we're thinking about bumping the major version number to 1.0, that
> would seem to be the right time to bump up our minimum library
> requirements as well.  We currently have backward compatibility
> kludges in place for:
>
> - automake <1.11 (current: 1.11)
> - autoconf <2.64 (current: 2.64)
> - botan <1.7.22 (current: 1.8.5)
> - sqlite <3.3.14 (current: 3.6.17)
> - boost <1.3[45] (not sure exactly) (current: 1.39)
>
> I'd like to bump to:
>
> automake 1.11, autoconf 2.64 (these are both brand new, but only
> developers need them)
>
> botan 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 (whichever is the earliest version that fixes the
> "netsync server run as root on Linux hangs reading /proc/kmsg" bug)
>
> sqlite 3.6.12 (sqlite.org recommends upgrading from any version older than
> this)
>
> boost 1.34 or 1.35 (whichever is the oldest version that provides
> boost/circular_buffer.hpp, so we can drop our bundled copy)
>
> Thoughts?

As pointed out in the flag day discussion, it might be good to support
Debian 5.0 Lenny via backports of new monotone versions for a couple
more years. That means not bumping any package version higher than
what Lenny has:

automake 1.10.1
autoconf 2.61
botan    1.7.8
sqlite   3.5.9
boost    1.35

The Lenny backports requirements include building on Lenny with no
other backports, so these automake and autoconf versions are required.

I think we should accept these requirements at least for this next
release, which should include netsync protocol negotiation. After
that, new clients will be able to cope with old servers, and there
won't be such a strong need to support backports on Lenny.

--
-- Stephe