Re: [Monotone-devel] Bumping required library versions

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bumping required library versions
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:55:14 -0700

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Stephen
Leake<address@hidden> wrote:
> Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'd like to bump to:
>>
>> automake 1.11
>> autoconf 2.64
>> botan 1.8.2 or 1.8.3
>> sqlite 3.6.12
>> boost 1.34 or 1.35
>
> As pointed out in the flag day discussion, it might be good to support
> Debian 5.0 Lenny via backports of new monotone versions for a couple
> more years. That means not bumping any package version higher than
> what Lenny has:
>
> automake 1.10.1
> autoconf 2.61
> botan    1.7.8
> sqlite   3.5.9
> boost    1.35

I could live with these.  It's unfortunate that we can't get a newer
version of botan, but 1.7.8 is at least after the API change that's
producing the largest number of #ifdefs in our code.

> The Lenny backports requirements include building on Lenny with no
> other backports, so these automake and autoconf versions are required.

Debian builds from tarball releases that contain the automake and
autoconf output, so technically we could get away with later versions,
but if we ever needed to patch the configure script it would be a
pain.  Automake 1.10 is enough for the most important thing I want
(native support for generating HTML from Texinfo).

zw