Re: [Monotone-devel] Server broken

From: John Bailey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Server broken
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:51:19 -0400

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Since this server is mission-critical (its missions being to serve
> monotone databases and your email), how about migrating to serious
> server hardware with RAID storage?  Thanks to virtual machines, this can
> be as inexpensive as a dedicated server, e.g.

Virtual machines, especially those provided by OpenVZ and Virtuozzo, are not the
greatest things in the world--the seller can overcommit the physical hosts or
the hosts can be under-powered, and any one virtual machine can flood disk I/O
out to the point that it kills I/O performance for other VM's and the other VM's
can never tell why.  These factors result in the VM being unacceptably slow,
especially in disk I/O--this makes IMAP extremely slow to respond and can make
even simple shell work unbearably slow.  I've seen this particular problem on
every Virtuozzo or OpenVZ VM I've ever had access to.

I would avoid virtual machines at all costs.

John