Re: [Monotone-devel] synchronization between mtn servers

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] synchronization between mtn servers
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:59:55 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:16:50 +0100, Lapo Luchini
<address@hidden> said:

lapo> It would be nice to have a semi-official way to keep the main nvm.*
lapo> repos in sync... as a first rough way I'm setting this crontab on my
lapo> home server:
lapo>
lapo> 7 * * * * \
lapo>   mtn -d .monotone/net.venge.mtn sy lapo.it
lapo> 27 * * * * \
lapo>   mtn -d .monotone/net.venge.mtn sy monotone.ca
lapo> 47 * * * * \
lapo>   mtn -d .monotone/net.venge.mtn sy monotone.mtn-host.prjek.net
lapo>
lapo> where default-include-pattern = net.venge.monotone{,.*}
lapo>
lapo> But I guess prjek itself has already some automatic way to follow
lapo> monotone.ca? But OTOH having a separate node that execute this cronjob
lapo> assures the 3 servers to be inline (within the hour) even if any is down.
lapo>
lapo> OTOH one connection per hour is suboptimal since it has a longish lag
lapo> when revision are actually received AND does many many unnecessary
lapo> connections when new revisions are not there really.
lapo>
lapo> I guess an hook could be better, but I didn't have head for it right
lapo> now, and that crontab was an easy way to do the job.

I use contrib/monotone-cluster-push.lua, with a cluster-push.rc having
the following content:

  pattern "net.venge.monotone*"
  server "monotone.mtn-host.prjek.net"

  pattern "net.angrygoats.viewmtn*"
  server "monotone.ucc.asn.au"

I haven't tested it that well yet.
This requires an exchange of server keys (the one pushing has to send
the server's public key to those he/she is pushing to).

If you want, I can set up a push to lapo.it as well, and let's try
this baby out for real...  especially with the new key format, I
suspect there will be some rewriting to do ;-)

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/