Re: [Monotone-devel] Version 0.46 breaks monotone-viz and mtn-browse

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Version 0.46 breaks monotone-viz and mtn-browse
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:43:05 -0500

Nuno Lucas <address@hidden> writes:

> I understand that there is lack of developers for the project, but
> maybe it's time to stop waiting for the BIG refactoring that will
> solve all problems and think on just finalize what it already does
> right.

I'm not aware that we are waiting for anything, we're just making
improvements as time and motivation allows.

> There is that saying that good software is not the one with the great
> algorithms but the one that actually gets released. On open source,
> that doesn't apply directly, but actually having a stable version is
> more or less the same.
>
> I have no doubts that sooner or later mtn-browse and monotone-viz will
> be fixed, but this problem should not happen on a stable version
> release.

All good software evolves and changes, or it dies. Look at gcc; will it
ever be "done"? Emacs is still making major changes to keep up with
the times.

There was extensive discussion of this change to automate stdio before
the release, and this change will allow future changes to be handled
more smoothly.

>> If anybody seeks for implementation help on any of these two clients,
>> drop me a note via IRC, I'm happy to help out.
>
> If only those programs were implemented on a sane language... ;-)

My sympathies. I have to hack in Emacs lisp to adapt DVC to mtn 0.46 ;).

--
-- Stephe