Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for a release

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for a release
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 07:35:44 -0500

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm preparing the next monotone currently, which will probably happen
> Sunday evening. Please check if your translations are up-to-date (there
> hasn't happened much since 0.46 in this area though), if the current
> head builds on your platform and if all of the tests (beside the "usual
> suspects" which failed earlier as well) run through.

As of

0422a7ef26ec104049ea29c1bc6e55262aded5e2 address@hidden 2010-03-07T06:17:34

all tests pass for me on Debian.

On Win32, I fixed the race condition that was preventing the test
suite from running. More precisely, I found the cause and added a
work-around; not a true fix. The problem was in win32/tester-plaf.cc
run_tests_in_children. Near the end, it does:

      if (child == -1)
        status = 122;
      else
        process_wait(child, &status);

      DWORD end_millis = GetTickCount();
      if (cleanup(t, status, (end_millis - start_millis) / 1000, -1))
            do_remove_recursive(testdir);

Apparently sometimes process_wait can return before releasing the lock
on testdir, so do_remove_recursive fails. I added a wait in this case:

      if (cleanup(t, status, (end_millis - start_millis) / 1000, -1))
        try
          {
            do_remove_recursive(testdir);
          }
        catch (...)
          {
            // process_wait sometimes returns before releasing the lock on
            // the directory that we tried to remove. So wait a little
            // longer and try again.
            Sleep (1000);// milliseconds
            do_remove_recursive(testdir);
          }

That lets the tests run to completion on my machine. For the wait time
400 was too short, 1000 worked; I stopped bisecting there, since it
doesn't actually hit that case often. Committed in
838009162c0fd6b6248d6a83f75771933e4a8b15

The following tests are failing on Win32:

  9 (normal)_netsync_on_partially_unrelated_revisions FAIL (error creating test
directory) 0:00, 0:00 on CPU
210 empty_environment                             FAIL (line 45) 69:34
341 multiple_version_committing                   FAIL (line 25) 0:01
423 restricted_commit_with_inodeprints            FAIL (error creating test
directory) 0:00, 0:00 on CPU
459 schema_migration                              FAIL (line 106) 0:12

empty_environment has been failing for a while; the others are new. I
have not looked at them in detail yet.

--
-- Stephe