[Monotone-devel] openSUSE build service automation

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] openSUSE build service automation
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 02:16:41 +0100

Hi all!

I've hacked together some scripts to use the openSUSE build service as
platform for nightly builds. The build is kicked off every hour when
something new can be build.

Additionally I've created a small PHP client which queries the openSUSE
RESTful API and shows packages, binaries, the build log of the last
build and a build history:

http://monotone.thomaskeller.biz/autobuild/index.php

The code for all this can be found in branch

        biz.thomaskeller.monotone-nightly

fetchable from my server (thomaskeller.biz).

All this could be polished and secured quite a bit more and its even
arguable if its a good idea to "misuse" the openSUSE's infrastructure
for nightly builds like this, but I see it more as a proof of concept.
Since their build infrastructure code is open source as well, somebody
can always just setup a build server together with a service and a
couple of predefined XEN images and should be good to go.

The concept can now be horizontally applied to other distros and
versions as well, basically anything what can run within a Xen instance
(unfortunately this does not include Mac OS X or Windows, so there is
still the need for some kind of alternative build infrastructure). I
eventually plan to add a couple of more Xen instances to my project and
try to get them build - of course you can be my guest and play with it
yourself and lend me a helping hand here :)

Thomas.