Re: [Monotone-devel] Question about mtn update --move-conflicting-paths

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Question about mtn update --move-conflicting-paths
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:21:05 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 27.03.10 01:14, schrieb J Decker:
>> mtn update --move-conflicting-paths works pretty good under windows
>> when I have updates that drop directories that are not empty.  Thank
>> you greatly for providing a method to work around this.
>>
>> At the end of the update, the files and directories that caused the
>> paths to not be empty are left in _MTN/resolutions.
>>
>> After a very long update, it might be nice to know that there are
>> folders left in _MTN/resolutions, I think this might be logged when
>> the command starts, but if you have a very long list of drops, there
>> is no notification at the end.
>
> Since --move-conflicting-paths has to be given explicitely, I think this
> is actually not needed.

If you are running a shell script to issue mtn commands, you might not
remember that option is specified. I don't think a summary message at
the end hurts.

> If you add this option you _know_ that _MTN/resolutions will contain
> the paths which have been moved there in order to complete the
> update successfully, so a simple ls -l _MTN/resolutions should be
> enough.

I specify --move-conflicting-paths on _every_ update, just in case. So
I'd like to know if anything actually got moved.

Actually, I run update from the Emacs front end, and the progress
messages are lost. So this doesn't help. Another reason to need an
automate update.

--
-- Stephe