Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db

From: Marcin W. Dąbrowski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 11:17:03 +0200

Hi.

Just my 2¢ as a user. :)

On 09 May 2010 02:48:42 +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Maybe we could make it easier to "extract", or better "move"
> an internalized database to an external place and vice versa,
> so people don't have to mess with _MTN/options by hand?

One thing I don't like in mtn, is that the database path is
absolute. Monotone can read relative path (relative to $CWD)
when I put it in options by hand, but replaces that with
absolute one (doesn't matter if it's found or not).

> a way to find a database only by its name (ie. -d foo would
> look for and find $HOME/.monotone/databases/foo.mtn)

Lovely idea. Having a list of places where monotone can
search for databases would help a lot. Now, my workspace
isn't self-contained, because the absolute database path
in options forces me to either leave the workspace where
it is, or edit options file when I do a little housekeeping
with my directories. (Ahead of the question: yes, moving
workspaces is sometimes needed, and I need all the files
there — not only these handled by monotone, so cloning
or copying just the db is not the answer.)

> There could be a hook "get_default_database_location" which
> could be altered by the user to a different path than the
> default one underknees $HOME, stuff like that.

That would help much. :)

Sincerely,
--
Marcin W. Dabrowski