Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 06:24:43 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe we could make it easier to "extract", or better "move" an
> internalized database to an external place and vice versa, so people
> don't have to mess with _MTN/options by hand? Then maybe
> $HOME/.monotone/databases/<user-chosen-name>.mtn is a good default,
> similar to what Stephen proposed. We could add more management features
> there, f.e. a "list databases" command which lists available known
> databases, a way to find a database only by its name (ie. -d foo would
> look for and find $HOME/.monotone/databases/foo.mtn), we could "connect"
> databases and workspaces by adding known workspaces of a database as db
> variables and list those as well in the database list. There could be a
> hook "get_default_database_location" which could be altered by the user
> to a different path than the default one underknees $HOME, stuff like that.

This sounds good.

That way, if I forget where I checked out something, the database can
tell me.

The 'get_default_database_location' hook should return a list
of directories; {"~/.monotone/databases",
"/usr/share/monotone/databases"} would be a good default on Unix,
{"$APPDATA/monotone/databases", "$ALLUSERSPROFILE/Application
Data/monotone/databases"} on Windows.

It might be good to have a MTN_DATABASE_PATH environment variable as
well; everything else with a search path uses that mechanism. That could
be added by the user in the the 'get_default_database_location' hook,
but it would be better to have a standard name. Perhaps the default
hook definition could handle that env variable.

--
-- Stephe