Re: [Monotone-devel] to be recursive or non-recursive that is the quest

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] to be recursive or non-recursive that is the question
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:16:26 -0600

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
> $ mtn add a # non-recursive
> $ mtn add a/... # recusive
>
> $ mtn revert a # non-recursive
> $ mtn revert a/... # recursive
>
> I'm not sure how we'd represent a recursive revert of the entire workspace,
> maybe 'mtn revert ...' or something.

This is actually a nice idea - though we probably have to prohibit file
names like "^\.{3,}" for that to work properly. It would certainly help
/ avoid the code clutter we have with the various --depth, --recursive
and so on option code.

Agreed.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about it though. It's not exactly standard shell syntax which is not so good, but trying to do this with options doesn't really work either. I'm not sure what we'd do about the backwards compatibility concern raised upthread, other than call this a breaking change.

One other thing, I think there is some "requirement" (maybe desire is a better word) in the tests for the ability to select a directory and it's immediate children but not their children, although I can't remember the details. Maybe just using foo and foo/* would be the thing to do in that case.

Cheers,
Derek