Re: [Monotone-devel] Order of the attr command parameters

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Order of the attr command parameters
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:11:34 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:18:26 +0200, Lapo Luchini
<address@hidden> said:

lapo> While using SVN at work I noticed that mtn's and svn's attribute
lapo> manipulation parameters have got two parameter inverted, that is:
lapo>
lapo>   svn propset PROPNAME PROPVAL PATH...
lapo>   mtn attr set PATH ATTR VALUE
lapo>
lapo> From the point of view of attr=value, I think monotone's order has a
lapo> sense, but OTOH svn's order easily allows to apply the attribute to many
lapo> files; e.g.:
lapo>
lapo>   svn propset svn:mime-type text/css *.css
lapo>   for n in *.sh; do mtn attr set $n mtn:execute true; done
lapo>
lapo> I think the former is easier to use. Well, in fact nothing is really
lapo> limiting the "attr set" command to accept more PATH names one after
lapo> another: last two parameters would always be ATTR and VALUES and the
lapo> previous ones would be all PATHs. But I think it would feel a little
lapo> more strange, even though retro-compatible.
lapo>
lapo> What do you think of it?

I would prefer the retro-compatible way, and I think it's worthwile

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/