[Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:34:39 +0200

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to mtn 0.48 and certainly appreciate some of the
improvements. However, I find it utterly annoying to have to scroll down
to enter the commit message in the editor. None of any other VCS I know
does that. I'd like to re-organize the default template.

On 'mtn status', the warning that *** THIS REVISION WILL CREATE
DIVERGENCE *** is way too strong, IMO. And it's plain wrong in case
there are no changes against the parent (no changes to commit, such a
workspace can't possibly create divergence).

I'd prefer a more informative (and less bold) message about *how many*
revisions there are ahead. Also note that the divergence warning already
exists: after the commit, when there's really a reason to warn about.
(And remember: nothing's wrong with merging later on - heck that's one
of the strengths of modern DVCSen).

The output of 'mtn status' looks suspiciously like something that's
committed already, which is misleading or even wrong: the date
information can't possibly be correct (compared to what is going to be
committed), and most of the time I know pretty well who I am, so I don't
want those two fields there. Displaying the branch makes sense, showing
the parent revision twice doesn't. And who needs to know the potential
future revision hash every time he uses 'mtn status'?

Regards

Markus Wanner