Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:12:51 +0200

Am 21.07.10 19:48, schrieb Benjamin Pollack:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 02:11:37PM +0100, Francis Russell wrote:
>>> - Keeping the changelog message at the top requires no scrolling or
>>> anything else and allows instant typing of changelog message in most
>>> editors. I really dislike any of these arguments about thinking time.
>>> We're supposed to be trying to help to user do things as quickly as
>>> possible and I find myself thinking more about how to get to the
>>> Changelog: token than the commit itself.
>>
>> I've found myself using -m just to avoid the editor entirely. I often
>> like to write a paragraph or two for my commit messages, and I'm
>> writing more and more 20-40 character commit messages lately.
>>
>> I definitely prefer the template Francis included.
>
> I know I'm a brand new Monotone user, and I hate writing me-too
> emails, but I also greatly prefer the template Francis suggested. It
> still makes it clear what's editable, but I don't sit there,
> scratching my head, wondering why my commit aborted due to a blank
> message when I know damn well I typed a message. (This really was my
> very first experience with committing in Monotone. It wasn't the
> best.) This seems like a really nice blend of making it brain-dead
> easy, but still making it clear what's editable.

As Derek noted in an earlier mail, we're working on a solution for this
and this solution will definitely pop up in the next version (i.e. there
will be no next version unless this issue has been resolved, given the
huge waves this "feature" created so far).

Just a small hint for all of you which are otherwise scared away from
monotone in the meantime - you can still use _MTN/log to jot down your
development notes before you hit commit and just save the editor
contents afterwards. This way you skip the changelog editing completely,
but don't miss the possibility to enter more than one sentence /
paragraph in the changelog.

Thomas.