Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:15:56 +0200

Am 21.07.10 01:10, schrieb Thomas Keller:
> If the compilation issue is fixed, I'll check the UI again and may come
> up with other little things :)

Some more observations:

- --verbosity changes the level between -2 and 1 (default is 0) - but I
  actually can't see a difference between 0 and 1. The option text for
  --verbose says "verbose completion output", but there is no
  difference between

    $ mtn ls certs h:net.venge.monotone  (verbosity 0)

  and

    $ mtn --verbose ls certs h:net.venge.monotone  (verbosity 1)

  i.e. both output

    mtn: expanding selection 'h:net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: expanded to 'c36b63fe53580cdf51cd5c6afa42fc4a30a1d095'

  On a slightly related note - the option --verbose has -v as short
  option in many other programs I know, but --verbose and -v do
  have completly different meanings here - is that something we want?
- If I increase the verbosity to 2 or set --verbosity=2, the --debug
  output is shown (which is reasonable, but not yet documented in the
  option text)
- I dislike the alphabetic ordering of our global options, because they
  spread all the verbosity-related cruft - and we have six (!) options
  for that purpose now:

    -v to increase
    --debug to set 2
    --verbose to set 1
    --quiet | -q to set -1
    --reallyquiet to set -2
    --verbosity to set to a number between -2 and 2

  Likewise, there are other sets of related options which would look
  great grouped together:

    --key | -k / --use-default-key
    --keydir

    --confdir
    --no-default-confdir / --allow-default-confdir

    --rcfile / --clear-rcfiles
    --norc / --yesrc
    --nostd / --stdhooks

    --dump
    --log
    (these two could get grouped into the verbosity-related group)

  Is it possible to group global options further, add an empty line
  between each group and sort the members of a group alphabetically?
- Personally I like it a bit better if the long options are broken into
  the next line a little earlier, i.e. not before they've taken up
  50% of the available space, but already if they've taken up 33%. The
  change is simple to do (ui.cc, desired_namewidth divided by 3, not
  two), so any objections against that?
- All tests pass on OSX 10.5

Thomas.