Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 04:42:25 -0400

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As I mentioned in my earlier mail the NEWS entry should include more
>> details what options got hidden, deprecated, replaced and / or removed
>> exactly. Yes, this is also a tedious task, but given the fact that not
>> mentioning it might lead to weird user experiences, especially if the
>> information is also nowhere available else, its a must.
>
> Ok. I'll work on this.

I've now done this. I added two resetting options:

GROUPED_SIMPLE_OPTION(diff_options, no_show_encloser,
"no-show-encloser/show-encloser", bool,
     gettext_noop("do not show the function containing each block of changes"))

SIMPLE_OPTION(no_corresponding_renames,
"no-corresponding-renames/corresponding-renames", bool,
              gettext_noop("don't output corresponding renames if restricted on
such nodes"))

should we hide --min/max-netsync-version?

>>> We could modify the description of _every_ command that now has a
>>> resettable option. Tedious, but do-able. But perhaps we should consider
>>> generating the command options from the help texts, automatically? This
>>> would be a modification of the 'mtn manpage' command. That way the info
>>> manual would be as complete as the online help.
>>>
>>> Or maybe it's ok as is.
>>
>> Actually not quite, e.g. "mtn serve" currently lists two hidden options,
>> --stdio and --no-transport-auth, so again I think we have to go over all
>> these sections and tweak them accordingly,
>
> I'll work on this.

I've done this as well.

In general, I just added [no-] (or equivalent) to the option text,
without changing the descriptions. That may be confusing, but I think
it's ok.

This would be easier if the manpage code was merged into this branch.
And that may have to be tweaked for this anyway, so we should wait to
land this until after the manpage branch lands.

--
-- Stephe