Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone - A couple quick notes

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone - A couple quick notes
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 06:48:52 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:41:31 +0100, Thomas Keller
<address@hidden> said:

me> Am 24.02.2011 03:35, schrieb John B Thiel:
me> > Surely it can't matter
me> > if Frank in Kalamazoo *also* has a "Wondermatic" branch like me ?
me> > unless I ever started working with him, I guess?  And tried to put his
me> > project in my same repository?  Then what? can't he or I just somehow
me> > rename colliding branches at that point ?   Or I just make a new --db
me> > repository to hold that project separate from my others ?
me>
me> Picking the colliding branches once they are in the same database is
me> quite hard, because the way revisions are selected depends very much on
me> the certificates that are tacked on them and especially for the netsync
me> / network use case you can only select revisions by branch name, not by
me> author, date, changelog or anything else.

Picking the colliding branches is really not that hard.  'mtn heads'
answers most questions (it will show which of the heads was written by
John and which was written by Frank).
Sure, you will have both branches replicated with netsync, but from a
monotone philosophy point of view, that doesn't really matter, since
the database is really just viewed as a bag'o'bits and trust isu
ultimately placed in the hands of the users.

Also, renaming of branches is really much easier since we implemented
'mtn suspend', all you really have to do is make sure the head of your
chosen branch gets a branch cert with the new branch name (or you
commit something new with -b {newbranch}), suspend head of the old
branch (the one you started from) in that old branch, and you're set
with a new branch name, all sparkly and shiny.  The good thing with
this is that it doesn't try to remove anything, doesn't require anyone
to do any tricks...  in other words, it's very well supported by
monotone.

(now, I'm off to the wiki to update the page on branch renaming ;-))

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/