Re: [Monotone-devel] Buildbot slaves, please!

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Buildbot slaves, please!
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 04:39:20 -0500

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> If you have a look at http://monotone.ca:9000/, you will see the only
> currently running build bot.  We need a few more on diverse platforms.

As I have said before, I used to run the win32 buildbot, and I much
prefer not doing it anymore.

Running a buildbot on Windows essentially requires a dedicated machine;
two if I also run a Cygwin buildbot. Running both buildbots on one
machine led to timeouts on the master, because they compete for the disk
and are therefor slow. I don't have any Windows boxes to spare.

That could be alleviated by only running builds during certain hours. Do
we really need a complete rebuild of every single commit, 24/7?

It would also help if there was an "update" mode, rather than always
doing a complete fresh checkout and build. I haven't timed it recently;
perhaps now the test time dwarfs the build time.

(we could try to build a dependency matrix from test to code, and only
run relevant tests. I suspect that would be essentially impossible,
certainly not worth the effort :)

It was also a pain adapting the buildbot stuff to Windows, but I did
manage it. It may not have changed much.

Given the current buildbot setup, I find it much better to simply run
the tests manually when necessary. That step is needed anyway to fix
bugs.

> Please help us make sure monotone 1.0 works and can ship before the
> end of this month.

I fully support this goal. But I don't think setting up a Windows or
Cygwin buildbot is the most efficient way to get there.

I'm starting 'make check' now on MinGW, and 'make distcheck' on Debian;
Cygwin after that.

I have not been able to get extra/* to run on MinGW; I have not spent
much time on it. I don't think we should hold the release for that.

--
-- Stephe