[Monotone-devel] Forbid a changeset from merging

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Forbid a changeset from merging
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:22:37 +0000 (UTC)

II sometimes have to adapt a package to local conditions -- the most
common kind of change is a configuration changem such as specifying where
it is to be installed.

Now the obvious (and possibly wrong) is to make a local branch, make this
change and propagate changes from the main branch into the local branch
whenever it changes.

This works if there is a one-way flow of information from developers
elsewhere to my localized branch.

But once the package has been adapted to local conditions, I will often
want to continue developing it, using the local configuration.  I can't
very well do this development on the main trunk, since it is not adapted
to the machine I'm editing, running, and testing on,  So I have to do it
on the local branch.

When the time comes, I'll want to propagate the changes to the main
branch, but I won't want to propagate the local configuration changes to
the main branch.

Is there any way to mark this one changeset so that it will never be
merged into the main branch?

Or am I approaching this issue entirely in the wrong manner?

-- hendrik