[Monotone-devel] Workaround for local Makefile changes that are not chec

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Workaround for local Makefile changes that are not checked in.
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 23:38:03 -0400

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:19:25AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Exactly why this isn't a great technique.
>
> And why I'll conditionally include a local, not-checked-in, file.
> Even though it'll cause complications with multiple workspaces --
> having to copy the local mods separately from checkout.

And in case anyone is wondering how to include a file into a Makefile
without crashing if the tile isn't there, here's how I did it.

First the default parameters,

AW =
AWC = $(AW)/bin/aw2c

Then the overriding include:

-include LocalMake

Notice the minus sign.

The LocalMake file contains the lines:

AW = /usr/local/stow/aw2c
AWC = $(AW)/bin/aw2c

The LocalMake file is *not* checked into monotone.

It's conceivable I should be using ':=' instead of '=' so I wouldn't
have to repeat the definition of AWC.  Or maybe that wouldn't help.
I'm not sure of the semantics here.

-- hendrik