Re: [Monotone-devel] status of release 1.1

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of release 1.1
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 01:39:39 +0200

Hi Markus!

Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> we're mostly ready for a 1.1 release. I fixed the intermittent issues in
> the extra tests. The revived build farm looks reasonably green, now.

Thanks for the effort!

> What's clearly missing is MacOS X. So if you have access to a box with
> that OS, please give it a spin (and consider providing a buildbot slave,
> please).

I'm on 10.9 (Mavericks) here. I had no recent enough mtn installation
around, so I had to copy sources and build from there.

Things that I've stumbled upon  so far:

* Don't use gcc from MacPorts to build, it will bring up weird linker
  errors (see my previous post from February), but stick to plain clang
  (which Apple advertises as gcc and g++ in the /usr/bin prefix)

* Mix-in libidn, liblua, libbotan, libpcre and else from MacPorts via
  CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib" (where
  /opt/local is the MacPorts prefix)

* Monotone has no support for botan's "special" versioned package-
  config file that botan seems to use since 1.10, so some more flag
  magic was needed, namely
  botan_CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include/botan-1.10"
  botan_LIBS="-lbotan-1.10"

* If gettext is not available, make (not make dist) fails with a
  cryptic

  make[2]: Circular po/sv.gmo <- po/sv.gmo dependency dropped.

  I guess this is because of Makefile.am's

  po/%.gmo: $(srcdir)/po/%.gmo
        cp $< $@

  which looks a bit fishy indeed.

  When gettext is installed, this does not pop up, of course.

* make install failed for me, because mtn.1 seems to be deleted right
  after it was created, so it cannot be installed. So `make mtn.1` does
  create and delete the file, but when I execute the commands of that
  target in my own shell, mtn.1 persists. Weird, but a minor.

I'm currently executing make check and will report the results of that
tomorrow.

Thomas.

PS: German translation has been updated.