[Monotone-devel] minimum requirements

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] minimum requirements
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 19:12:20 +0200

Hi,

after quite some messages about C++11, I feel like I still don't have a
better idea of what the set of supported platforms should be. Quite
independent of C++11 (especially as "builds on" and "runs on" are
slightly different capabilities).

Please consider that each platform in the set needs somewhat regular
care and love - some more, some less, but keeping monotone running
properly on any one is an effort. Announcing a platform is no longer
supported is almost free. The question is not: "What platforms can we
evict from that set?", but rather: "What platforms can we reasonably
keep up with?". (And related: "Which ones are you willing to help with?")

Stephen wants these (and supports them by occasional manual testing):
 * RHEL 6
 * Windows / Msys 2
 * Cygwin

Thomas Keller provides:
 * MacPorts packaging

Jeff Rizzo provides:
 * pkgsrc packaging for NetBSD

Lapo provides:
 * FreeBSD packaging

Thomas Moschny (promised to) provide:
 * Fedora packaging

My personal minimum requirements (and packaging contributions):
 * Debian wheezy (stable)
 * Ubuntu LTS (precise)

On my wishlist (for minimum requirements):
 * Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) / XCode 5
 * FreeBSD 10
 * NetBSD 6.1
 * Gentoo Hardened
 * Solaris 10

On Hendrik's wishlist:
 * Debian squeeze (oldstable)
 * Windows XP

I would like to explicitly exclude these:
 * Debian oldstable (squeeze)
 * all Ubuntu before precise (i.e. older than the last LTS)

I'm currently providing quite a few build animals to hit my targets and
to make my wishes come true. If you want to keep a platform supported,
please consider contributing a buildbot or at least run occasional tests
on that platform.

Regards

Markus Wanner

P.S: in the above list, I counted all those that have packaged release
1.1 or promised to do so, by now. Feel free to correct me if you're
somehow supporting that recent release, but are not listed above.