Re: [Monotone-devel] asio to replace netxx [was: C++11]

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] asio to replace netxx [was: C++11]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 22:22:59 +0200

On 05/18/2014 10:02 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:
>> (Actually an argument to get rid of those...)
>
> Is that what the nvm.asio branch is for?

Yes. Back then, Zack started with that branch, but discontinued after
adding an m4 macro to detect asio [0].

AFAICT NetXX has been discontinued since at least 2008. That's when we
first started to think about a replacement. asio still looks like the
best candidate to me, so I've gone forward and tried to implement
netsync with asio. I'm not quite content with the quality of that code,
so I haven't pushed anything, yet. But I already got basic netsync
functionality working (including via unix pipes).

Two things to consider: I'm proposing to use the non-Boost variant of
asio (as has been discussed, before), so we don't drag in another boost
dependency.

Second: It's a headers-only library. Available on most Linux and BSD
distributions, and easily copied when not packaged.

Regards

Markus Wanner

[0]: asio - a cross-platform C++ library for network [..] programming
http://think-async.com/