Re: [Monotone-devel] colorization

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] colorization
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:07:11 -0500

On 04/09/2015 01:23 PM, Markus Wanner wrote:
Hi,

On 03/30/2015 08:48 PM, Markus Wanner wrote:
To argue a bit more objectively: I tried to make the default colors
readable on black as well as white background. And I reduced noise a bit
by un-coloring a couple of things. Colorization can be adjusted via a
lua hook.
I just landed this branch on nvm. Together with some support for a
pager. Currently still hard-coded to 'less', but I intend to make this
configurable via lua.

Makes sense.

I'd opt for enabling colorization by default. Especially as this feature
gets automatically disabled for non-smart terminals.
Both - colorization and paging - is now enabled by default for smart
terminals (for Linux/Unix systems, that is). I'd appreciate some feedback.

Nothing in the diff jumps out at me as an issue.

   $ mtn log --colorize | less

No escape codes (good), but also no colors even tho I specifically asked for them.

   $ ls -l --color | less -FRX

Other colorized commands will output the colorization codes if specifically asked, even to pipes.

If --colorize is given explicitly, I'd think it should colorize regardless of what it thinks the output type is.