Re: [Monotone-devel] colorization

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] colorization
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:59:22 +0200

Timothy,

thanks for testing.

On 04/12/2015 06:07 PM, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> Nothing in the diff jumps out at me as an issue.
>
>    $ mtn log --colorize | less
>
> No escape codes (good), but also no colors even tho I specifically asked
> for them.

If you pipe to less, mtn isn't writing to a smart terminal, anymore.
That currently disables colorization independent of the option, yes.

> Other colorized commands will output the colorization codes if
> specifically asked, even to pipes.

That in turn surprises me.

    $ mtn diff --colorize | cat

gives monochrome output for me. What specific command and OS do you use?

> If --colorize is given explicitly, I'd think it should colorize
> regardless of what it thinks the output type is.

I see your point. And it seems that would be more consistent with how
'--ticker' works as well. I'll change that. Thanks for your input.

The same argument could be applied for '--pager', though, where I have a
bit of a hard time coming up with a valid use case.

Regards

Markus Wanner