Re: [Monotone-devel] Fwd: node blocked by blocked parent

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Fwd: node blocked by blocked parent
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:02:30 +0200

On 06/01/2016 06:46 PM, J Decker wrote:
> I have a repository that is tracked in git and in monotone.  I was
> updating monotone and added two trees; three.js(187 files) and some
> data in src/voxels/VOxelInfo_[1-250].txt  (okay it's only 437 some
> files not thousands)
>
> all the conflicts are exactly the same; directories are directories,
> files are files, and the content of files is the same.

Well, monotone tracks files and directories. Two directories added on
two different revisions (possibly even by two different persons) are two
different directories. If the two happen to claim the same name, that's
a conflict, in monotone.

As I said before, there's no good solution to support "stitching".
That's something that seems to work just fine for other VCSes (which do
not track files and directories directly).

I'm still convinced that monotone's approach has its benefits and it
would be worth implementing proper stitching, but... as a matter of fact
nobody implemented it so far.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner