monotone-users

Re: [Monotone-users] 回复: how to delete a project in monotone

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-users] 回复: how to delete a project in monotone
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:12:35 +0200

Hello Andreas,

(I'm CC-ing monotone-users)

On 04/16/2015 02:45 PM, Andreas Friedman wrote:
> Thanks for your answer/Danke fuer deine Antwort!
>
> I just introduce mtn to my company(I am the CTO)

Cool!

Just out of curiosity: Weimar? Hangzhou?

> Do you think its worth to impliment a delete function for
> worksaces/branches? I would like to improve mtn.

We certainly appreciate help. However, implementing distributed deletion
is not easy - if possible at all. It's somewhat similar to wanting to
delete contents from the Internet.

> Actually I do not understand what you mean by Monotone is monotonic(I
> know the meaning of mathemacical monotonic, cuz my major is physics).

Monotonic in the sense that you can only ever add information, not
delete. That's by design and not a missing feature.

Dropping a file is equivalent to writing a new revision with a manifest
that doesn't list the file. However, its history is preserved, its data
still available. Similarly, suspending a branch only adds a cert that
marks the branch suspended. Nothing is actually getting deleted.

You can of course always control your local database and even delete it
entirely. Or delete portions of it with mtn local.

Regards

Markus Wanner