moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Plugin claims application/octet-stream as type wh

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Plugin claims application/octet-stream as type when it's not
Date: 14 Jun 2003 11:56:14 +0200

Le sam 14/06/2003 à 02:15, Mikko Rauhala a écrit :
> When I try to view an MS word document on the Plugger Word test
> document¹, mozilla-bonobo complains that it couldn't load viewer for
> content of type "application/octet-stream". However, the server does
> send it as application/msword as verified by curl --head. Also, when I
> grab the file, file(1) recognizes it as MS Word data, and Abiword opens
> it nicely. Ergo the weirdness. What's up with that?

This commes from the use of gnome_vfs_get_mime_type_from_file_data to
determine the type of the uri when something went wrong while loading an
appropriate Bonobo Control. This function is unreliable in some cases,
especially text files and apparently also some octet-streams. The use of
gnome_vfs_get_mime_type_from_uri would be better in many cases.

> Oh, and my mozilla-bonobo is set to ignore application/octet-stream
> anyway. And yes, application/msword is listed in about:plugins. And by
> the way, the same thing happens with the excel file, though the tiff, ps
> and pdf files display properly using mozilla-bonobo.

I have the same problem with excel files. Here the problem might come
from gnumeric even if gnumeric itself opens correctly the test.xls. I
have no control for MSWord files.

Regards,
--
Jean Bréfort <address@hidden>