moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Plugin claims application/octet-stream as type wh

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Plugin claims application/octet-stream as type when it's not
Date: 14 Jun 2003 14:55:39 +0200

Le sam 14/06/2003 à 13:39, Christian Glodt a écrit :

> The error message may be incorrect, as Jean Bréfort stated in
> another mail. I'll correct that. The problem scenario however
> seems to be the following: Mozilla downloads the file into its
> cache. Files in the cache don't keep their usual filename, but
> get renamed (an example cache file on my system is
> ~/.mozilla/chris/9os9cqge.slt/Cache/A8C67739d01). The plugin
> then tries to load a component which can open this file.
> This fails because gnome-vfs doesn't detect the correct mime
> type for the file in the cache. Then the plugin displays an
> error message, based on the same (wrong) mime type detected by
> gnome-vfs.

Things might be somewhat different. I studied the problem because at one
moment, gchem3d crashed and I bobobo-mozilla cmplaint that it could not
load a text/plain file while the file was a chemical/x-mdl-molfile.
Addint type="chemical/x-mdl-molfile" in the object tag did not change
anything. When I replaced in mozilla-bonobo-viewer.c the
get_mime_type_from_file_data by the get_mime_type_from_uri, the message
was correct, so that the name transmitted to the plugin is the real
name, not the one in the cache.

> So the solution is to fix gnome-vfs. Since that may take some
> time (or may not be possible in all cases), the mime type needs
> to be passed from the browser to the viewer, which can use it to
> get a bonobo component for that mime type.

For text files it will not be possible to get better. I suppose that if
the result of gnome_vfs_get_mime_type_from_file_data is either
text/plain or application/octet-stream, the other function should be
called.

Best regards,
--
Jean Bréfort <address@hidden>