moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Chances of moz-bonobo 0.5 in time for GNOME 2.6?

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Chances of moz-bonobo 0.5 in time for GNOME 2.6?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:03:02 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 11:05, Andrew Lau wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> GNOME 2.6 is being rolled out "Real Soon Now (TM)" and I wondering
> whether they'll be a new release of mozilla-bonobo to take advantage of
> any new features in GTK+2.2 or Bonobo? We're in the middle of migrating
> our Debian packages to GNOME 2.6 outside of the main package repository,
> so now would be a very good time for us to repackage/test a new release.

I don't know about any new features in GTK+ or Bonobo that could be
supported. As far as GTK+ goes, mozilla-bonobo uses only really basic
functionality. It works with the GTK+2.4 that entered experimental
(or was it unstable?) recently.

I'm not sure if there have been any worthwhile changes in Bonobo.
If there are, adding support for them would hardly be possible before
Gnome 2.6 is out.

For the record, I consider mozilla-bonobo to be in maintenance mode
until some Mozilla and Bonobo issues are fixed.

> There's also the issue of fixing gpdf support which is causing many new
> users major headaches in 0.4.

Indeed, there is some breakage. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be
in gpdf - it used to work, until it broke one day after an upgrade.

>From mozilla-bonobo's point of view, the gpdf control is seemingly
loaded correctly. But the control just displays a gray area. This
can be verified by clicking+dragging in the gray area - the mouse
pointer changes to the one gpdf uses while dragging.

I might put out a 0.4.1 release to fix bug 226697 (a 64-bit pointer
issue caused by an outdated copy of mozilla's npunix.c file). It's
not really critical though because the issue is in a function that
is present for exclusive usage by Sun's Java plugin. mozilla-bonobo
never executes that code.

> Cheers,
> Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

Cheers, and thanks for your continuing interest,

Christian Glodt