moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] from the plugin to the browser... and back

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] from the plugin to the browser... and back
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:54:54 +0200

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 13:31, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> Le sam 19/06/2004 à 13:03, Luca Padovani a écrit :
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > a while ago I've used the notification mechanism that makes the browser
> > open a new URL if a plugin loaded with mozilla-bonobo asks so. As
> > everybody knows, this mechanism can be used to make the browser execute
> > some Javascript.
> >
> > I'm wondering if there's any way of communicating data back to the
> > plugin _after_ the plugin has been loaded and activated for the first
> > time. In principle, only a notification mechanism like "something in the
> > source document has changed" might be enough provided that the plugin
> > can access the attributes of the <object> element in the HTML document
> > at any time.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > --luca
>
> You should read the following document:
> http://mozilla.org/projects/plugins/scripting-plugins.html
> If it is what you need, it will be easy to implement it in
> mozilla-bonobo (if not already here).
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean

I've read that document too. The method that it describes is
based on creating a JavaScript binding for the plugin. That
binding is created from an IDL description.

This means that the binding is static. The JavaScript API that
it exposes will be the same for all bonobo components. So it
will be of somewhat limited usefulness, since not all bonobo
components are the same.

If you want to, tell us what you would use such a function
for - that may help find a way to make it possible.

Btw, it should be possible to reload a document by putting
the plugin into a frame and triggering a reload of the frame
from JavaScript. Of course you then lose the state of the
viewer component.

Christian