mp3player-help

Re: [mp3player-help] Streaming audio in mp3player

From: John Rabkin
Subject: Re: [mp3player-help] Streaming audio in mp3player
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:09:50 +0200

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:41:58PM -0400, J-P Theberge wrote:
> John Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > Here are a few more stations, I've checked that they all work and are
> > relatively well known. I don't actually listen to them all (not all my
> > taste) but I guess we should be eclectic.
> >
> > A bit short for a patch?
> >
> > ;; Radio Stations alist START
> > ("Progressive Rock"."http://xstream1.org:8630/prog1.ogg";)
> > ("CaliforniaSoul"."http://radio.californiasoul.org:8000/hifi.ogg";)
> > ("SoulFM NewAge Easy Listening"."http://xstream1.com:8616/soulfm.ogg";)
> > ("3WK Underground"."http://66.28.238.136:8089/3wk-128.ogg";)
> > ("WCPE Classical Music"."http://audio.ibiblio.org:8010/wcpe.ogg";)
> > ("Virgin Radio Liquid"."http://ogg.smgradio.com/lq96.ogg";)
> > ("Virgin Radio Live"."http://ogg.smgradio.com/vr96.ogg";)
> > ("Virgin Radio Classic Rock"."http://ogg.smgradio.com/vc96.ogg";)
> > ("Virgin Radio The Groove"."http://ogg.smgradio.com/gr96.ogg";)
> > ;; Radio Stations alist END
>

> Thanks a lot, I've added them.
> >
> > Note that if you run mp3player-play-radio twice you will two ogg123
> > running at once. This is not a Good Thing(tm). Can
> > mp3player-play-radio check if ogg123 is running (something like the
> > bash 'job' command) and not start another instance if true?
> >

> Place that on my todo list.
>
> -jp

Sorry, kind of OT but mpg321 *is* your backend app.

So far the closest I've gotten to playing streaming mp3 audio with
mpg321 is by "cheating".

$ wget -q -O - http://cerebrum.dnalounge.com:8000/live/128 > stream &
$ mpg321 stream

This is since mpg321 cannot (as far as I know) play from piped
standard input.  This is not a good solution for two reasons: The
connection breaks easily so that the music does not resume once
stopped and the user ends up with a huge stream file on disk.

Anyone know how get mpg321 to stream audio off the net?

        Regards, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell