nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:31:23 -0700

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:28:48PM +1000, Ken Tyler wrote:
> > Honestly I'd rather see the current non-pico behavior go away; yes its
> > consistent across functions but people are used to the way Pico does
> > previous
> > search strings.  I'd rather the new behavior become the default, drop the ^\
> > shortcut from the menu and drop Pico compatibilty mode entirely (as we'd
> > pretty much be pico compatible).
>
> Waht is the 'new' behavior ?

The new behavior would be what your patch provides.

> Leave it as is, i like having ^\ to go straight to "search for replace".

Oh it still would do that, it just wouldn't show up in the shortcut list
anymore, so we wouldn't have to have Pico compatibility mode just to make the
menu look different.

> I suppose really I would prefer ^R in search to become ^\ for consistancy
> and leave it as is. Now I've done a bit of a job on ^W <numeric> ^T (4
> lines) the ^T should become ^-.

We can certainly add those keys for consistency across our enhancements, but
they should stay ^R/^T in  the menus for compatibility w/Pico.

> I sent David Benbennick the patch this morning, maybe he would be kind
> enough to commit it if it's OK.

I really like to see patches before they get committed.  Maybe I'm missing
something...

On another topic, Ken did you have the slower computer that was noticing the
slowness with the c-file syntax highlighting?  I brought up nano on my laptop
over the weeekend it is was incredibly slow scrolling through a .c file.  This
being a PII-366 laptop I was horrified.  I started looking around around and
noticed that DB's multi-line comment regex, which does rock, but it seems to
slow less speedy computers down to a crawl, presumably because of the regex
combined with the searching for begins/ends.  If you get a chance, try
commenting out the line that says:

color brightyellow start=""(\\.|[^\"])*\\( |  )*$" end="^(\\.|[^\"])*""

and let me know if you notice an improvement.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001