nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] None

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] None
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:07:28 -0500

Nickolai,

I've seen some problems like this using Nano under Putty or Windows Telnet
(but not this bad).  I think the problem is with your curses or ncurses
library.  (When I upgraded to the newest ncurses my problems went away.)

It is possible to install ncurses in your own directory.  You can get the
latest version from http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/.  Install it to, for
example, /tmp/ncurses.  Now you just have to make Nano see the new version
of ncurses.

First, copy the new ncurses.h file to the Nano source directory, so Nano
will see the right header file.  Then open Nano's Makefile, and replace
the line

LIBS = -lcurses

with

LIBS = -L/tmp/ncurses/lib -lncurses

assuming you installed the new ncurses in /tmp/ncurses.  Finally, open
Nano's config.h, and replace the line

/* #undef HAVE_NCURSES_H */

with

#define HAVE_NCURSES_H

Let me know whether that works.

> and those function perfectly in the exact same environment (except for
> Emacs in the text mode, of course).

Do you mean that when you open Emacs at the console, it has the same
problems?  I think that indicates it's a curses problem, since Emacs uses
curses.  (Also, Pico doesn't.)

David B.