nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] memory leak

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] memory leak
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 00:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

Brand Huntsman:

<snip>

>A lot of the changes wouldn't require rewriting existing code. I
>wouldn't want to implement file inclusion until nano ignores all but
>the current syntax or else it would be loading many unneeded files on
>startup.

As long as your changes try to retain backward compatibility with the
old color syntaxes whenever feasible, don't make the new color syntaxes
unnecessarily complicated, and have their workings well-documented, I'll
definitely be willing to consider them for inclusion.

Some of your proposed changes definitely sound interesting, especially
the "break" command and the color scope idea.

Note that there's already a patch to allow inclusion of an entire
separate rcfile
(http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanovarcinsert-patch.txt),
similar to your "include" proposal; it could probably be adapted to set
a flag to only accept comments and color entries, which appear to be the
only things you'd allow in included files.

However, as for loading a nanorc from the current directory, the effects
of doing so could probably be accomplished by much simpler means such as
allowing nano to read default values from comments at the beginning of
files (cf. how vi does this; I forget the terminology at the moment).

(Note that there may be a few changes to the color code in the future,
as explained in my other email; however, they shouldn't be anything
major.)