nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:11:07 +0100

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 19:43, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2016 23:57, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> > Patches fall under same licence as of the software to which it is applied
> > i.e in case of nano GNU GPL v3?
>
> practically speaking, it would be simplest if the patch had the same
> license as the code base it was modifying.  pedantically speaking,
> there is no such requirement (legally speaking), although there might
> be from a purely project sanity pov.

Well, it doesn't matter much what license governs the patch itself
-- after it has been applied, I don't care about the patch any more.

The patch modifies a piece of code in src/files.c, Rishabh, and that
file is governed by the GPL v3.  So putting your code into that file,
automatically means it is governed by the GPL v3.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail